My minor child is going to be taking a school trip without his parents. Do I need to go to court to have a guardian appointed?

No. A parent is allowed to delegate parental authority regarding “the care, custody, or property” of a minor child to a “temporary agent” for a period of up to 60 days. This is accomplished through the execution of a special document with a number of formal requirements.