I’m going to be traveling and will be leaving my minor child with a caregiver. Do I need to go to court to have the caregiver appointed as a guardian?

No. The Caregiver Authorization Law allows a parent, without a court order, to share parental authority over a child’s education and healthcare with a caregiver for a period of up to two years. This is accomplished through the execution of a special affidavit.